Thursday, December 31, 2009

Hope for 2010

Tonight we say goodbye to 2009. As years go, 2009 wasn't so bad on our farm, in fact it was really pretty good. We had plenty of rain, good crops, great grass in our pastures and the cattle grew very well. We stayed healthy and the kids had a good year. All in all, 2009 was a good year for us. Now as we head to 2010 we wonder what it will bring.

Most farmers and ranchers tend to be optimists. So as we go into a new year, we assume the best. I think all farmers and ranchers start January 1 sure that this will be the year that we have ample rains and produce lots of grain and many pounds of beef/pork/lamb etc... I think all of us also think this will be the year that the stars will line up and not only will we have a great crop but the price we receive for those crops will be great also.

That is what I love about my fellow farmers and ranchers. I think it takes optimism to take a small seed and place it into the ground not knowing what will happen in the ensuing months. Waiting long hours on a cow to calve or a ewe to lamb, all the while, knowing it will be months before that animal is ready to sell.

What will 2010 hold for my ranch? I know there will be ups and downs, successes and failures but I can tell you right now there is nothing I would rather be doing. Who knows what the year will bring, but right now I have great hopes and dreams for 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment