Sunday, June 19, 2011

Faith of My Father

Today is Father's Day and our Pastor asked me to be a part of a tribute to Father's by determining what award my Father should get. This assignment was especially tough for me, I have the privilege of working side-by-side with my Father each day. I guess that is one of the things that drew me into farming. My Father is my beacon in life and serves as my role model even (and probably more so) as I age.

It was hard for me to decide on one area but I kept coming back to one thing. My Father is a man of faith like no other person I know. I suppose being a person of Faith is inherent in all of us who are involved in agriculture. After all we plant seeds each season not knowing whether it will rain or be dry, if it will be too hot or too cold or even what price we will get for those crops. Each time I worry or stew about the weather he reminds me that there isn't much I can do about it.

However, Dad's Faith transcends his professional career. He has faced each challenge in life with a rock solid Faith in God. Each trial he has been given has been greeted with the acknowledgement that God is in control. He has been the source of strength and courage for our family through each crisis. Spend time with Dad and you will realize the comfort and strength that comes with his unyielding Faith.

That Faith is put into action in our Church life also. Whether having the Faith to help guide a building project or admonishing his son about the church budget. Constantly he reminds me that a church budget is an act of Faith and not an exact science. Now I am grateful that he is sharing that faith with the youth in our church. I know his grandchildren and others are more than happy to learn from him, in spite of his humble misgivings.

Its funny how our Father's go from a hero-like status when we are children to the status of someone who is out of touch when we are teens back to a revered source of wisdom as we become adults. I am so glad that as I became an adult that I had the blessing of working with my Father.

On this Father's Day I am so thankful for the example he sets for me each day and that I am blessed enough to spend time with him each of those days and learn from him. I will strive each day to set the same type of example that I have been given by the Faith of my Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment