Monday, May 14, 2018

God Speed Dr. Drake


Kansas State University’s Animal Science Department lost one of its all-time greats recently. Dr. Calvin Drake passed away leaving an awfully big hole for those of us lucky enough to have known him. Dr. Drake left all of us with the legacy of making the world around him a much kinder, gentler place and that is the greatest thing anyone can do with their life. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I am a much better person because of the time I spent with him.

The best way I can describe Dr. Drake is a big personality with a little bitty cowboy hat. He was a whirling ball of endless energy, optimism and cheer. I looked forward to seeing Dr. Drake each day because he had the rare ability to make you feel better about yourself no matter what else was going on with your life. I wish the world had more of those people. Upon hearing of his passing, I told a friend that you had to be a hard-hearted person for the mere thought of him not to put a smile on your face.

I transferred to Kansas State from junior college and they let me hang out in Webber Hall despite the fact I was an Ag Econ major. I decided to try out for the livestock judging team and Dr. Drake coached us fall semester of my junior year until Dr. Schaake arrived in December. While I did not have him as a coach as long as many of my friends, I was lucky enough to have him long enough to see what kind of a man of character he was.

Because I hung out in Weber and posed as an animal science student and a livestock judger, Dr. Drake took a deep interest in my life and development just like he did for thousands of other Kansas State students over his long career. I suppose because of my involvement on the judging team I was drawn into many non-ag things with Dr. Drake.

I had the opportunity to play basketball and softball with him. He approached those activities with a frantic, full-steam ahead, high gear only pace that made it both entertaining and dangerous to participate. I also had the misfortune to be roped into being a fourth in one of the faculty card games. I say misfortune because as an it was really a no-win proposition. I can remember playing with Dr. Drake, Dr. Hines, Dr. Spaeth, Dr. Good, and Dr. McKee to name just a few. As a student you didn’t want to win but you didn’t want to make a mistake and get called out either. Those games were hard fought and not for the faint of heart but also experiences I would not trade for any amount of money.

My fondest memories of Dr. Drake was something I will never forget. He found out that I had a bird dog and some good quail hunting. What I failed to mention was that my dog had survived parvo as a pup and had lost her hearing. The couple of times we hunted she was on her best behavior and did a good job leaving Dr. Drake to marvel at my “deef” dog (his own unique pronunciation of the word deaf).  After that every time I saw him he would first ask about my “deef” dog.

After I graduated I always made sure to see Dr. Drake anytime I was back to Kansas State or at an Animal Science gathering. Dr. Drake was just one of those people who you wanted to be around and who made you a better person because you knew him. I cannot think of anyone who served as a better role model of how to be a man and a leader. He was without a doubt one of the most kind, caring individuals I have ever been around.

I think and I hope that I appreciated Dr. Drake as much as I should have during my time at Kansas State. However, I do know that I developed an even greater appreciation of what he did for me as my kids grew up and as Isaac attended Kansas State. We are all products of the world around us and of our experiences. All of this is made better by role models and great men who dedicate their lives to teaching and mentoring students like Dr. Drake. That is something I understand better as I get older and something I am very thankful for.

I am sure I am just like every other former student and livestock judger when I say I wish I could see and talk to Dr. Drake one more time. The shot of enthusiasm and encouragement is something everyone needs, and few people could pass on like he could. Dr. Calvin Drake, Godspeed, because “jiminy frost” I am a better man for knowing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment