Friday, October 30, 2009

Family Farm Values

Last night my family sat down to dinner. We had pot roast (most meals are centered around the beef we raise) and all the fixings. This is not an unusual event in our house, we try to have breakfast together every morning and dinner as a family every night. During dinner we often talk about the day's events, school and, of course, the farm. I truly believe that that family dinner is what we are all missing far too often. It helps us reconnect as a family.

Family values are what we as a farm family are all about. I feel very fortunate to have grown up on a family farm and that is what I want for my children. I had my parents, my sister and my grandparents around me every day. I worked side-by-side with my parents, we ate meals together as a family and I learned to appreciate the blessing I had been given each day.

Now all I want for my kids is to live that same life. In this modern rush, rush world it is hard. We get up every morning and feed our animals. Some mornings, like today, it isn't too much fun, but they are learning to put the needs of their animals ahead of their own needs. We eat meals together so they know that their parents care about what they are doing and are involved in their lives. Our children are an active part of our farm and I think that is important. Many times after school and on the weekends they would rather be doing something more fun, but the farm has to come first.

What I am trying to convey is that farm kids learn some valuable lessons very early in life. Things I would like to share with more kids. Lessons like putting others ahead of yourself, the value of family and the benefits of hard work. Most importantly my kids know where their food comes from and, they too, are proud producers of the food we all eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment