Sunday, May 30, 2010

Soybeans and Memorial Day

Memorial Day Weekend, the unofficial start of the summer season. Let the grilling, camping and summer fun start. Well, not yet. We have been working hard to get the soybeans planted this weekend. Farming is one profession where weekends and holidays aren't on the calendar.

I posted this on Facebook yesterday and one of my friends reminded me that I willingly give up my weekends and my holidays because I love what I am doing. He was exactly right and that reminder made me think today. I am incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to pursue the life I love on the land I love. Land that my ancestors made the long, dangerous trip to homestead and that my family has called home for over 100 years.

I also thought about the men and women who had made sacrifices to allow me to live on this land and work it. That is the true purpose of Memorial Day, to remember the ones who have passed on and especially those who have served in our defense and given the ultimate sacrifice. We all need to remember that the very freedoms and blessings that we have in our lives are due to the sacrifice and bravery of those who protect those very freedoms.

So as I look at the cattle grazing on the green, Flint Hills grass in the cool, wet, thunder-storm cooled evening, I am humbled to think that all of this was due to the dedication of our brave men and women serving in our armed forces both past and present. So as you go about your Memorial Day activities (work or play) stop to remember those who made your choices possible.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely put. Just joined up here and look forward to your postings. Nothing like time on a tractor to get you thinking.

    ReplyDelete