Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Chicken Problem


I want to put my two cents worth in on a subject that I might well regret. A week ago, I attended Tyson’s announcement that they were going to build a new poultry processing plant and feed mill in Tonganoxie. To be quite honest I attended the event thinking that it was a great thing for Kansas and a real opportunity for agriculture. I was really surprised by the reaction some people had to the proposal and I have spent most of the following week trying to understand both sides of the issue. There are people I know and respect on both sides and that makes it difficult.

Sure, I expected some protests. Let’s be honest, Douglas and Johnson Counties have groups who would be there protesting anything modern agriculture might roll out. I did not expect the backlash from local ag producers and residents, although I probably should have. I can understand why they feel the way they do and I would be concerned if I were them too. This project is going to bring big changes to their community, some good and probably some not so welcome.

I must also admit that I was at the time and still am, in favor of the project. I hope that does not lose me friends and believe me it is not an easy decision. I have empathy and sympathy for those closest to the situation. I can see both sides and I will continue to educate myself about both sides of the project and I encourage everyone else too also.

One of the concerns I heard was the secrecy that surrounded the proposal and the announcement. I must admit that I was not all that comfortable with it but when you look at things objectively it is easier to understand. There were several other sites under consideration and Tyson was trying to get a good idea if the project was a viable option or a good fit for the area. Again, in the sense of honesty, we all know what would have happened to land values if the process was more public.

The biggest concern I have heard is over Tyson itself. I get that concern. Yes, Tyson is a huge corporation and because of that many people are cautious and with good reason. They are out to make a profit. I am not sure why many of the public think big corporations or other businesses should not make profits. That is why we all are in business and large or small. Are they squeaky clean? Probably not, I am sure we can find examples to prove that. Are they a horrible entity that should be feared, loathed and not trusted? The answer is no. The answer to both questions is probably somewhere in the middle. Tyson is a successful, large corporation that knows how to make money and will take care of themselves. Everyone involved needs to understand that going in.

However, they are also not some evil entity that will win at all costs, that is simply not good business. Would I build barns and sign a contract with them? Maybe, but I would do my homework first and seek some legal counsel. I will say that given the economic challenges ahead of agriculture in the next few years I would look at anything that might provide added income.

I have also heard concerns about the labor force and environmental impacts. Both very valid concerns and things that must be addressed. The labor issue is a real sticky one and something we must have a candid discussion about. All of agriculture needs the current labor force but there are issues that need to be dealt with and this is no different. As for the environmental aspect, the same KDHE and EPA we all worry about are watching this project also and Tyson must jump through the same hoops anyone else would. These problems can be managed but are very real and need to be watched.

What are the benefits? First, it is another market for our grain. The estimates are that they will use somewhere around 8 to 9 million bushels of corn and several million bushels of soybeans. More competition for the grain will mean more opportunities for us as producers. The producers who choose to build barns will have the chance to add income and that potentially could be the difference between staying in business and changing occupations. There will also be the chance for jobs associated with Tyson and side businesses, all of which will add to the economy.

This is an opportunity for the ag economy and the economy in general to grow and that is a good thing. Along with growth comes growing pains and a new Tyson plant also brings challenges that need to be discussed and concerns that need to be addressed. All that I am asking is for each of us to do our homework, attend the informational meetings and form an educated opinion not based on emotion. We need to see and understand both sides and do so in a civil manner, protecting our own best interests while looking out for the greater good. That is my two cents worth and probably worth exactly that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment