Tuesday, October 24, 2017

FFA Convention


Last week I had the honor of attending the Kansas FFA Convention. I don’t know how many times I have had the pleasure of attending the convention as a member, volunteer, sponsor or more importantly proud parent of a member, but I have sat in the audience many times and the feeling I get from the experience is one of the most uplifting I have ever felt. If you have never experienced Convention you need too, you will come away with more hope for the future than you have ever experienced before.

The sea of blue jackets is something to behold. In a time when no one wants to be formal, civil or polite it is refreshing to immerse yourself into a setting where all three are the norm. Sure, they are still kids and if you listen close enough you can hear teenage banter, but there is a level of respect and responsibility from all members attending that is seldom seen in our society today.

Sitting through the opening ceremony I am reminded of what FFA is all about. I also must admit that I am a junkie for the retiring addresses of the state officers. The messages are eloquent, heart-felt and motivating, especially from young leaders who have their whole lives and careers ahead of them. I am in awe of the leadership and poise demonstrated and I am moved by the tributes they pay to their school administrators, advisors and parents. Often, they have a better and more meaningful message than the paid, professional speakers who follow them.

Then come the recognition of the accomplishments of the FFA members. If you want to truly feel good about the future of agriculture or the future of our nation in general you need to watch as the members and their chapters are recognized for the things they have achieved. It is almost overwhelming. I can honestly say that some of my proudest moments as a parent have been when I watched Isaac and Tatum be recognized on stage during the convention. Nothing compares to that in my world.

That is just the tip of the iceberg, each year I come away from the FFA Convention refreshed, energized and motivated because of the FFA members and advisors I encounter. I also think it is moving to watch a retiring ag teacher/FFA advisor take part in the opening ceremony one last time as the wise old owl and then when they are done the crowd gives them a standing ovation.

I leave the convention on a high each time but as soon as that starts to wear off I find myself asking the same question. Why do we not value this as much as sports? Let’s be clear, I am a sports nut as much as the next person. I have made it too big a factor in my life and I probably always will. Please, also do not misunderstand me, sports are important, they do teach life lessons and they do have a place. However, that place should not be above all else and certainly should not be above FFA or any of the other leadership opportunities for youth.

Each year it dawns on me when I am at the convention that I am sitting in an auditorium full of young leaders who will make an impact on their world because of the skills and experiences they have gotten from FFA. I look at the list of past officers and award winners and see a who’s who of agriculture leaders. I don’t know what the percent of youth who go on to careers or even scholarships in athletics are or what percent of FFA members go on to careers in agriculture but I will bet the farm that the percentage in FFA is much higher.

This is the thought that I will throw out to each of you. Why do we put such a high value on high school athletics versus FFA? We think nothing of passing a bond issue or paying for new facilities for sports. New coaches are added at the drop of a hat but try adding another ag teacher or even improving the ag classroom. Sure, it happens and I appreciate the support agriculture programs receive from administrators but again ask yourself why some schools don’t have an ag program or when was the last time you saw a school not have a football, volleyball or basketball team?

Why is this? It is the emphasis that we put on athletics as a sports crazy society. I would submit to you that our priorities are more than a little misplaced and I will also be the first to admit that I am included in this. I am not sure what the solution is to this dilemma, it is something we must explore as an ag community and a society. I do know that I am so grateful that my children took advantage of the opportunities afforded them by participating in FFA and I am reminded of that each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment