Thursday, November 23, 2017

Rights Vs, Right


I am going to do something I said I would not do, but it is something I cannot get out of my head. You would have to live under a rock not to have heard about the controversy with NFL athletes and their actions when the National Anthem is played. I have chosen not to get involved publicly because the one thing that is being sought is attention. If you do not agree with what they are doing, not acknowledging it is probably the worst thing you can do to them.

Why are the players kneeling during the Anthem? I am not sure I understand and I am not entirely sure most of them really understand why. Until I understand their cause I am not going to comment about my feelings and what they are doing. I only hope that they truly know and understand what it is that they are making a statement for and not blindly following.

No, I do not know their motivation for kneeling during the National Anthem. However, I completely know and understand why I stand for the Anthem and cover my heart. First, I stand because I do think this nation is the best place on this planet and I am proud to be a citizen of the United States of America. I know that the rights and privileges afforded me by simply being a citizen are fragile and can disappear in a very short amount of time.

I stand because I hold this country very near and dear to my heart. I stand because I value the freedom to practice my religion and to honor my God. I stand because I have the right to speak whatever is on my mind. I stand because we have the fairest judicial system in the world and I challenge you to provide proof otherwise. Is it perfect? No, but it is the best in the world. Can it be made better? Absolutely, and that is another reason I stand. We have the power to make a difference in our government and make changes.

Any of the reasons I have mentioned are more than enough reasons to stand and pay tribute to this great nation. We are blessed to live here and that is something most of us take for granted. We have no idea how good we have it. Yes, those are all good reasons to stand and reasons that play into my choice, but they are not the main reason I stand for the National Anthem.

I was reminded of the reason I stand for the National Anthem just today. Dad and I were talking to a friend about the situation surrounding the NFL. My friend’s father served in World War II, fought on the front lines and made it home. I remember him marching in parades with the color guard and flying the flag out in front of his house. He was proud of his flag and of his nation, so proud that he did his duty and put his life on the line for each of us. He saw things so horrible that he never wanted to speak about them again, things that we could not imagine.

My wife’s grandfather had a similar experience and was wounded so badly he spent months in the hospital and carried the scars his entire life. They didn’t do this for the glory but rather because it was their duty and it was something that had to be done. They were brave beyond my comprehension. Then they came home, built lives, families and farms and they held the flag and the Anthem in the highest place of reverence and I promise you they stood each time the flag passed and the anthem was played. I stand in their honor.

Finally, I stand for the Anthem because I knew SFC Forrest Robertson. Sargent Robertson was a hero we should all honor, one who paid the highest price for our freedom. His family, wife and daughters live in my community and I witness their sacrifice and it is for him and them that I stand with my hand over my heart. I have seen their pain and witnessed their pride. What we owe them is a debt none of us can ever pay and but one I acknowledge through my rising for the National Anthem and for our flag.

The beauty of this great nation is that you can chose to do what you think is right. I cannot attest to know what is in the heart and the minds of those who do not stand for the National Anthem. It is their choice I would not make and certainly don’t agree with. I can only speak to my intentions and my actions. I am proud citizen of the United States of America, but just as importantly I am humbled by and understand the sacrifices of men like Lyle Carr, Allen Drake and Forrest Robertson. Those reasons and those heroes are why I will always stand for the Anthem and the Flag with my hand over my heart and that will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment