Tuesday, September 4, 2018

4-H KIds Say the Darnedst Things


This week I am kicking off one of my favorite times of the year, county fair season. I know some of you have already had your fairs buy most will be happening in the next three weeks.  There is nothing more refreshing and wholesome than a county fair. I must admit that I am somewhat addicted to going to county fairs and maybe that explains why I look forward to judging them each year.

Yes, I have been judging county fairs now since I graduated from college and that would be…. Well, let’s just say its more than I have fingers and toes. It can be hot, sometimes you leave really, early in the morning and other times you get back really, late at night, but it is always worth the time and effort. Each fair I judge I am reminded of why I do it and often come away with a good story. I thought I would share a couple of my favorite memories.

Often, it’s the little moments. I remember one fair I was judging the swine show and specifically junior showmanship. I like to pull the kids aside and ask them questions about their project like what they are feeding their hogs. I asked one young man that question and he told me to wait right there. He then ran over to the fence and yelled to his dad to bring a bag of feed over to him because the judge wanted some feed.

One time while judging a bucket calf show I asked one young man if there was anything else he wanted to tell me about his project. Keep in mind this was over the microphone so the whole crowd could hear it. He looked kind of sheepish and said that since this was in public it might be a good time for a confession. That got the crowd’s attention.

He went on to tell us about how he was practicing with his calf and his dad was helping. Somehow, they got a little close to his mother’s new car and the calf kicked it making a small dent in the fender. His dad told him not to tell anyone and his mother would never know. However, it had bothered him, and he needed to confess. He thought since it was in front of everyone his mother would not be as mad.

For many years I was an Extension Agent and I was sympathetic toward the plight of my fellow agents and the number of judges they had to find and for some of the most unusual projects. I was judging other projects when the agent asked me to judge the emu show. Yes, the big flightless bird kind of emu show. I told her I was not qualified but she insisted that I would be and said it was a brother, sister and cousin showing.

I went to the pens, looked the birds up and down and acted like I knew what I was doing. My FFA poultry judging was coming in handy but on a much bigger scale. After serious contemplation I could not decide which bird was the best, so I called the three together for a conference. The brother and sister told me that they had been champion the last two years and it was their cousin’s turn. I made the cousin’s bird champion emu (although I did not walk into the pen and slap it). I have often thought that was the only show I have ever judged where everyone showing walked away completely happy with my decision, that is why I am officially retired from judging emus.

There are times when the memory is funnier later than it is immediately following the show. One time while judging a beef show I walked up to a steer to feel if it had adequate finish on its ribs. It seemed a little jumpy, so I asked the young man on the halter if his steer kicked. He said no, so I went in to handle it and the steer immediately kicked me in the knee. Not wanting to show pain or cry in front of the packed grandstands I gritted my teeth and stood there for a second until the pain subsided. I then looked at the showman mentioned that he said the steer didn’t kick. That was when he explained that his steer did not kick, and this was his cousin’s and he was showing it because it was ornery.

My favorite moments judging fairs are not slapping the champion although that can be a great moment when you know the youth has spent a lot of time and effort on their entry and it means a lot to them. My favorite moments and the reason I still judge shows are the kids and parents who come up afterward to tell me more about their projects. The people are the reason I love judging shows and I am sure this year’s fairs will give me more memories and probably more great stories so stay tuned in.

No comments:

Post a Comment