Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Trade and Prosperity


It never ceases to amaze me how different those of us in agriculture are from other people and most importantly other occupations. I guess if you are not involved in the day to day nuances of agriculture you really don’t understand what it is like to farm and ranch. I am not directing this as a criticism and I certainly am not bragging, I am merely making an observation.

Over the past couple of months, I have gotten to do several interviews over a wide variety of topics ranging from trade to over regulation by the government. The reporters have been from different media outlets and sources, but the most common thread is that often, they have little or no background or understanding of agriculture. Sometimes that can make one feel like they are talking in a foreign language, but it underscores the need to talk to the media and set the story straight about agriculture.

The interview starts out with them asking questions about the trade policies of the current administration and how they affect agriculture. When I explain that a large portion of what we grow is exported and that any disruption in those exports can cause a great decrease in our income. They follow along pretty good. However, when the discussion turns to farm income that is when I see the most surprising response.

I explain to the reporters that farm income is at its lowest level in many years and has been so for several years already. That is why the disruption in trade hurts so much, this could potentially lower our income even more. Usually the follow up question is about if we plan to keep planting crops. That is when my answer absolutely stuns the non-farm reporter.

Yes, the thought of not planting a crop has never crossed my mind. Why? Because we plant crops, we grow grain and that grain is needed for food and feed. The idea of not planting a crop because the prices are too low does not even cross my mind. I know that in other industries when the profit margin gets too low production is cut but in agriculture that is not an option until we produce more food than the world can consume.

I am aware that from a purely economic standpoint the whole idea of producing when the chances of making a profit is slim is ludicrous but in agriculture our mindset is different. My family has been farming and ranching for more than five generations and I can never remember a story of a year when we did not plant our fields and especially a story about not planting because prices were too low. I suppose this is because farming and ranching is about a way of life and not purely about money.

I know that there have been times things looked bleak. The dirty thirties come to mind and I cannot imagine how desperate the situation must have felt. Not only was the economy in the tank but we were in an extended drought. Even then I never remember Grandpa or Grandma telling me a story about how they did not put seed in the ground. Since then there have been times of poor markets, incredibly high interest rates and horrendous weather and never once did we consider packing it in.

It can all be summed up in a simple sentence. A hungry world must eat, and the farmer must plant. Most of us consider it our duty, our calling to grow the food everyone needs. I guess there is a point when you can no longer go on, but those fields will be planted by someone the next year. We can live without cars, TVs and other stuff if the economics don’t support their production, but we cannot live without food. That is when I have the reporters convinced about how important agriculture and trade is to them personally.

As to why we plant? I guess as farmers and ranchers we are eternal optimists and we understand that the cycle will change, and good times will come back. We just don’t know when. That cycle of good and bad times makes sense when it is causes by weather and out of our control but is frustrating when it is manmade. However, even then we know better days are ahead if we just keep our heads down, our backs bowed to the load and push ahead.
I am not sure I have ever fully made a reporter understand agriculture and our mindset. I am sure that I have helped them understand our love of the land and the passion for what we do. I guess that is the difference between those of us in agriculture and many other occupations. It is a lot more fun and a whole lot easier when we are making money, but that is not why we do what we do. We farm and ranch because of a connection to the past and a hope for the future. I hope we get this trade issue figured out and the sooner the better, but I assure you that I am already looking at next years crop no m

No comments:

Post a Comment