Tuesday, September 4, 2018

No Excuses, Get Involved


It really appears to me that there is a growing disconnect between much of the population and those who make decisions in our government. Call it an apathy but more and more I am hearing people make the comment that they just don’t want to get involved any more because they don’t like what is going on or don’t have time in their busy schedules. This past week I heard both arguments and I find either one equally disturbing.

Don’t get me wrong, I know politics and civics are not everyone’s cup of tea. In fact, I would say it is an acquired taste and one that we certainly don’t want everyone acquiring. However, politics and our government are the one thing that sets this country apart and makes us great. Sure, I would agree that, especially lately, there are a lot of things that aren’t so great and maybe even embarrass us. That is even more reason to not turn a blind eye and to get involved.

With two relatively new adults in my house the phrase “adulting is tough” is spoken quite often. Yes, they are finding out that with the freedom and opportunity of becoming an adult there are also many parts that are not so great and even border on a real bummer. Things like paying taxes, bills and other unpleasant chores they have been shielded from. Sometimes civic involvement falls into that category.

As an adult citizen of the United States there are a few duties and responsibilities that, while not mandatory, should be considered for the good of our nation and the health of our democracy. Often, I hear people say they don’t have time to get involved. I agree, we are all strapped for time and taking the time to become informed on the issues takes time.

These are the same people that complain about the taxes, roads and the schools. They are permanent victims and instead of getting involved and trying to affect a change, it is easier to whine and complain about the system. That is the easy way out and just an excuse to not practice your civic duty. I remember my parents telling me that you can’t complain if you don’t plan on doing your part. For most of us doing our part is nothing more than becoming informed and voting. I find it embarrassing just how few people eligible to vote take part. There are people in other countries who literally die for something most of us take for granted.

That brings me to the second type of people who don’t participate in our self-governance. The people who don’t get involved because they don’t like politics. While I can understand that point of view, it is also an excuse and a poor one at that. We should all take the time to at least meet the people elected to represent us. It is easy to complain about someone you have never met. I urge everyone to take any opportunity you must meet the people who represent you. You may or may not like them. If you do not and they do not represent you, find someone who does and help them get elected. That is how this system is supposed to work.

Please don’t base that like or dislike on a few minutes or seconds. We live in a sound bite world and think in fifteen-second clips. Take the time to see how the person thinks, what they believe in and how they have voted and then decide. It is a lot more work and, yes, I know you have a very busy life. However, deciding who represents us in our county seat, Topeka and Washington D.C. is a big deal and one that should not be taken lightly.

If we feel the people in elected positions don’t represent us, then we need to work toward a change. Apathy is the worst enemy of a democracy, doing nothing harms it more than making a bad choice. Bad decisions can be corrected in the next election cycle, apathy only gets worse. If the voter pool gets shallow only the extremes will be represented and that is not what any of us want.

I am sorry if I am getting too preachy and standing on a soapbox, this is one of the areas I feel passionate about. If we are not going to get involved, we cannot complain about the outcome or who makes those decisions. Your lack of action and excuses did as much to cause the situation as those who voted directly for that person.

This was not directed at any one elected official or party. Merely, I have noticed more and more people who make excuses about why they chose not to get involved. Rather, I would encourage you, no matter what you political leaning, to become informed and involved. That is how this wonderful, imperfect system is supposed to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment